Sunday, February 6, 2011

Self Worth vs. Self Esteem




We briefly spoke of this during Sunday school. I think that all of us have self esteem issues if we're honest. We're not thin enough, smart enough, or good looking enough. How else is there a multi-billion dollar industry writing and selling books about self esteem? People, on the whole, are trying to fill that hole inside of us. Searching for something to fill it up and make us feel better. Some books try to tie self worth and self esteem as the same thing, but I don't believe it is. Self esteem changes day to day, sometimes moment to moment. When get frustrated and yell at one of my kids, my self esteem goes down because I feel bad for my actions. If my pants aren't as loose as they were, my self esteem goes down. But ~ self worth ~ that is different. Our self worth comes from our Creator. Genesis 1:26-27 tells us that "God created mankind in his own image." We are worth so much to God that He sent Jesus here to live and to die for us. Isn't that amazing to think about?



Colossians 3:12-14

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved,

clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness,

and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any

of you have a grievance with against someone. Forgive as

the Lord forgave you. And over all of these virtues put on

love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."



No only were we created in God's image, we are God's chosen people that are loved! In Matthew 10:30, we are reminded that "even the very hairs on your head are all numbered." Our worth is not tied to our bad hair days ~ they are tied to our very Creator.

Daniel Johnston said this: "The reality is that loving your neighbor as yourself begins with you. You must love and value yourself if you are to love others. You have to respect yourself and acknowledge your own self worth. You must take care of yourself so that you can love and help your neighbor."


So, our self worth comes from God and His love for us. The worth that He places on each of us. The worth that He sees when He looks at us. Where does our self esteem come from? I believe that our self esteem should come from service to others. That wonderful, warm feeling inside when we do something good for others. Those wonderful moments when we are Christ-like, just as the bible has commanded.


Matthew 20:28 "just as the son of man did not come to be served, but to serve..."


1 Peter 4:10 "each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others..."



All of these thoughts have made me stop and think about what I'm teaching my children. Where do my kids self esteem and self worth come from? Are they like I was when I was younger? Searching? Looking in the mirror and falling short? Or do I make my kids think of themselves too high? Does our little world revolve too much around them and their wants and not enough around other peoples needs?? So many children in today's society are spoiled (yes, I said it!) and everything revolves around them in their homes. They may even go to church on Sunday but do they practice what the bible says? God wants us to have hearts of a servant. (And not just serving our children..lol) I think that's where our self esteem should begin. With the heart of a servant. This is something I must work on as well at home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever work and reporting!
Keep up the superb works guys I've included you guys to my personal blogroll.


Feel free to visit my weblog ... http://stagesofbeautyblogs.com